An Inhaler or Puff or "Spray medication", is a hand-held device which delivers asthma medications (both immediate relief medications like Salbutamol and preventer medications like ICS medication) directly to our Pulmonary airways. A variety of asthma inhalers are available at Asthma Allergy Pulmonology Centre Thrissur Kerala .All of these are 100% safe ; and helps us to control Pulmonary symptoms of wheeze and cough in both adults and children. There are many different types of inhalers. At our centre we mainly use them in the treatment of the two common Pulmonary Diseases; asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).Let us learn the various types of inhaler devices, and some general information about using all these inhalers.
Different inhaler devices suit different patients. Inhaler devices can be divided into 3
- Pressurised Metered Dose Inhaler also called (MDI)
- Dry Powder Inhaler also called ( DPI )
Metered Dose Inhaler MDI
- Metered Dose Inhaler MDI is the best and simplest way to take asthma medications. It is fast acting. It takes only 5 to 10 minutes for medicines to take effect and relieve us of our wheezing ;as compared to tablets used in asthma medications, which takes at least 1 to 3 hours.
- MDI is also the safest way to give drugs into the airways as Side Effects are almost nil as the Medicines go directly to the Pulmonary airways which are having the disease and work on our inflammed airways directly with out entering our blood.So also , logically the dose required for MDI route is only 10% of the tablets.
How to use inhaler without spacer?
- Remove the cap and hold the Inhaler upright
- Hold the inhaler with two finger on top and thumb finger on the bottom
- Breath the air out through your mouth slowly and completely.
- At once put the mouth piece of inhaler in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it. Do not bite the Inhaler
- Press the inhaler forcefully once to release the medicine only once, this is your first puff.
- Breathe in the puff as it reaches the mouth slowly and deeply and hold your breath for 10 second to allow the medicine to reach deeply in your lungs and settle down in the airways.
- Repeat the above steps if advised by Asthma Allergy Pulmonology doctor ;for your second puff after waiting for 4 to 10 minute.
How to use Metered Dose Inhaler with Spacer
- Assemble the inhaler and spacer for use ready by connecting the inhaler to the spacer into the spacer's slot.
Remove the cap and hold the spacer upright
- Hold the inhaler with two finger on top and thumb finger on bottom
- Breath the air gently through your mouth completely
- Put the mouth piece of spacer connected to the inhaler in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it.
- Press the inhaler to release the medicine only once, this is your first puff
- Breathe in slowly through the spacer and hold your breath for 10 second to allow the medicine to reach deeply in your lungs.
- Repeat the above steps for your second puff if adviced by your asthma allergy pulmonolgy doctor after waiting for 4 to 10 minute.
Advantage of using spacer
- Overcome the coordination problem with inhaler
- Facilitates the large doses of bronchodilators
- Reduces the drug deposition in mouth and pharynx
- Increase the drug deposition in pulmonary airways.
- Easy inhalation for children
- A nebulizer is a device that changes medication from a liquid to a mist so that it can be more easily inhaled into the pulmonary airways.
- Nebulizers are particularly effective in delivering asthma medications to infants and small children and to anyone who has difficulty using an asthma inhaler.
Types of nebulizer
Compressed gas passes through a constriction undergoes a small reduction in pressure
Thus causing drug solution to be drawn up a feed tube from a reservoir and fragmented into droplets (15-500 μm)
Most of the droplets generated impact on the baffles producing smaller particles which are inhaled or returned to reservoir
Work by spray formation from high frequency ultrasonic signal
Advantages of Nebulizer
- No need for coordination
- Effective even with tidal breathing ie normal breathing without any effort from the patients part especially when they are having severe wheeze.
- Delivery of evn High doses of medicine is possible directly to the Pulmonary Airways without causing much side effects as the medicines do not reach the blood.